[LON-CAPA-admin] XML Course Creation and Clone Permissions

Stuart Raeburn raeburn at msu.edu
Mon Nov 14 18:02:32 EST 2016

Joyce,

> We are currently creating/cloning courses via the Course Attribute  XML file.

When a Domain Coordinator uses "Create courses/communities by
uploading an attributes file", to create course(s) from an XML file
containing course definitions, cloning of an existing course is
automatically allowed for any  course in the same domain.

In this context the "Users allowed to clone course" setting for an
individual course, which may have been set by a Course Coordinator
either via:

(a) Settings > Course Settings > Display ("General course settings" checked),

or

(b) The Course Initialization "helper" the first time the course was accessed,

is simply ignored, and the Domain Coordinator has unrestricted rights
to clone any course (as long as it is within the same domain).

> In our domain, we don't really need to protect cloning rights and it
> would be nice if we could make "any user" a default.

There is a domain configuration:
"People who may clone a course (besides course's owner and coordinators)"

which can be set to one of:

(a) "No additional course requesters"
(b) "Any course requester in course's domain"
(c) "Course requests for official courses ..."
where institutional codes for new and cloned course have identical:
Semester, Year, Department, Number (as many checked as needed)

Note: (c) is only available as an option if the &instcode_defaults()
routine in /home/httpd/lib/perl/localenroll.pm has been customized.
See: section 4.7 "Search Filters for Official Course Categories" in
the PDF version of the Domain Coordination manual (p. 61).

The domain configuration for Course/Community defaults can be set via:
Main Menu > Set domain configuration > Display ("Course/Community
defaults" checked).

The domain default set there is currently used when checking cloning
rights for courses, where no specific setting has been made by the
course owner.

The exceptions (one noted above) are where a Domain Coordinator uses
the web GUI to create a course using either (a) "Create a single
course" or (b) "Create courses/communities by uploading an attributes
file".

Note: the domain default is only consulted if there is no setting for
who may clone a course in the course's settings.

When using LON-CAPA's "Request course" web form, the requester can
always clone courses he/she owns, or in which he/she has active Course
Coordinator roles,  but see my earlier post to the lon-capa-users list:

http://mail.lon-capa.org/pipermail/lon-capa-users/2016-January/005035.html

for information about a patch for 2.11.1 required to support that.

Stuart Raeburn
LON-CAPA Academic Consortium