[LON-CAPA-users] remote control

Gerd Kortemeyer lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Mon, 8 Sep 2003 12:25:32 -0400

On Monday, September 8, 2003, at 12:08  PM, Michael T Hamlin wrote:

> IE has the annoying habit that when you
> open a new browser window, it loads the same page that is being
> viewed in the previous window.

Usually you open a new window because you want to do something
different from what you already do. There was a nice New York Times
article about these Microsoft "features" yesterday. I wonder if this
one can be switched off in the Preferences, though, like much of the MS
Word automated guesswork and paperclippy features - can't do anything
from inside LON-CAPA about it.

>   While you are in lon-capa, this
> creates confusion with the remote, presumably because the remote
> cannot be associated with two windows at the same time.

Actually, when a LON-CAPA window comes up, it has code in it which
registers with the Remote. If the same window comes up again (out of
cache, so we cannot even block shipping the code), the *it* registers
with the Remote.

>   Then
> if you later close one (i typically close the newer one),

Please try closing the old one.

> PS  I am using IE on machines where I do not have control.  When I
> suggested they install another browser the guy laughed and said
> "but everyone uses IE".

Excrement must also taste great, since billions of flies cannot be
wrong.

- Gerd.