[LON-CAPA-users] Unreduced answers in Numerical Response

Lars Jensen lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Wed, 9 Oct 2002 09:25:27 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Guy,

On Wed, 9 Oct 2002, Guy Albertelli II wrote:

> Hi Lars,
>
> > Thanks! Are there any other differences between between formularesponse and
> > numericalresponse if the former is used for a numerical answer?
>
> Well it allows a large pile of possibilities in the answer.

This is as it should be for any class at college level or above - One
has to hope that these folks can do basic algebra. For this reason the
default for a numerical response should be "expressions allowed" (and
here I mean including perl functions, like sqrt, pi, sin, fraction,
etc.).

> Meaning if you ask the question:
>
> What is 3/5+3/10?
>

> The student can just enter 3/5+4/9 and get it right.
>
> Or enter 45/50

Great.

> Seems like there is enough reasons that one could do a fraction
> control option in numericalresponse

Yes! But "all" expressions should be allowed (see above).

> Something like:
>
> <numericalresponse fraction="reduced" answer="0.166667">
>
> With values like any, mixed, reduced etc.
>
> Think this would be better in the problem or as a parameter?

I'm not sure what you mean here, but there probably should be a switch
to turn the "expressions allowed" off - or perhaps thw separate problem
types are needed: An numerical-response-expressions-allowed, and a
numerical-single-number-response?

Lars.

--
Lars Jensen, TMCC/Vista B200, 7000 Dandini Blvd, Reno NV 89512-3999.
Internet: <jensen@physics.unr.edu>, http://www.scsr.nevada.edu/~jensen