[LON-CAPA-users] Unreduced answers in Numerical Response

Wed, 9 Oct 2002 15:05:41 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Lars,

> > > Thanks! Are there any other differences between between
> > > formularesponse and numericalresponse if the former is used for
> > > a numerical answer?
> >
> > Well it allows a large pile of possibilities in the answer.
> >
> This is as it should be for any class at college level or above - One
> has to hope that these folks can do basic algebra. For this reason the
> default for a numerical response should be "expressions allowed" (and
> here I mean including perl functions, like sqrt, pi, sin, fraction,
> etc.).

formularesponse supports all of these, and if you want pi or some
other constant you can use the smaples field to do this

<forumalresponse answer="pi*sqrt(2)" samples="pi@$pi">

> > Meaning if you ask the question:
> >
> > What is 3/5+3/10?
> >
> > The student can just enter 3/5+4/9 and get it right.

Sorry meant 3/5+3/10

> > Or enter 45/50
>
> Great.

I think most instructors would disagree. Most of them like the
students to have to do the computations.

> > Seems like there is enough reasons that one could do a fraction
> > control option in numericalresponse
> >

> Yes! But "all" expressions should be allowed (see above).

I think fractions might be a useful subset I could see an instructor
wanting to accept fractional answers but not allow the student to be
doing all kinds of other things.

> I'm not sure what you mean here, but there probably should be a switch
> to turn the "expressions allowed" off

Correct, and should this switching occur in a place only the author
can change (i.e. when editing the problem)
Or should it be something a course coordinator chooses (and thus a
parameter to show on the parm screen)

--
guy@albertelli.com          BM: n^20 t20 z20 qS
Guy Albertelli -7-7-9-  O-