[LON-CAPA-users] New Content/Problem Editor - Input needed NOW

Itay itayf at nospammail.net
Sun Oct 12 08:12:01 EDT 2014

On Thu, 9 Oct 2014, Gerd Kortemeyer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We are trying to figure out how the next generation content/problem editor should work, and we really need input.

> 2) Is there anything good about the colorful editor?

It is a good guide for seeing the varoius code options: attributes,
embedded boxes, etc.  I sometimes use it when I am not sure about the
structure of a certain problem, and am too lazy to look in the help
system...

> 4) Think about the whole workflow of authoring problems: What is important? What do you need? How can the whole process of authoring be streamlined?

Personally I mostly develop problems off-line using emacs with
templates that I have created for the most frequently-used scenarios.
I use both the text and graphical editors when I need to test a new
structure, or when after uploading a problem, I encountered an error
and I want to quickly test a fix.

So regarding streamlining:

I would love to have a test suite for offline authors -- some kind of
a standalone capa that has the facilities to typeset problems, but
without all the facilities for networking, registering problems,
managing courses, grading, etc.
It would be wonderful if I could open a local problem file directly in
a browser and see how it would look once it is uploaded in LC network.
The cycle of problem development would shorten considerably -- at
least for me.

Regarding the new graphical editor:
providing a button to collapse/expand specific boxes would be very
helpful.

Thanks,
Itay