[LON-CAPA-users] How to put students into a "Pre-assigned" time slot

Stuart Raeburn raeburn at msu.edu
Mon Sep 9 12:45:11 EDT 2013

Hi,

>    What is the difference between the following two parameters?
>
>   - Slots of availability
>   - Slots of availability selected by student

In parameters ...

"Slots of availability" is the parameter used to enter a
colon-separated list of preassigned (i.e., instructor-assigned) slot
names for slots which apply to the particular resource or folder.

"Slots of availability selected by student" will include a
colon-separated list of student-schedulable slot names for slots which
the student has reserved, which apply to the particular resource or
folder.

You will note that in table mode, i.e.,

(a) Main Menu -> Modify parameter settings (due dates, etc) for
resources and the course -> Edit Resource Parameters - Table Mode,

or:

(b) "Modify parameter settings for this resource" from te Functions
menu when viewing a resource,

for the "Slots of availability selected by student" row there is no
asterisk in any of the columns apart from the user-specific columns (
"User <username> at Domain usask") displayed when in (a) "3 User
Specification (optional)" or in (b) "Additional Display Specification
(optional)" has been set for a specific user.

NOTE: the entry/entries entered in the textbox in the pop-up windows
need to be slot names.  You can view the available slot names via:

Main Menu -> Manage slots (first column: "Slot Name").

They should *not* be integers corresponding to the number of slots, as
you proposed.

In addition, you are not expected to enter anything in the "Slots of
availability selected by student" parameter row.  One column will be
populated when a student reserves a slot, for example by using Main
Menu -> Manage reservations. That column is in the "User <username> at
Domain usask" set of columns.

> Say, I want to have 5 slots available for students to select, and 2
> slots for instructors to assign. How should the following three parameters
> be set when viewed from "Edit Resource Parameters - Table Mode"?
>
> (A) Use slot based access controls (useslots) [map_map]
> (B) Slots of availability (available)         [7]
> (C) Slots of availability selected by student (availablestudent) [empty]

(A) Use slot based access controls (useslots) [map_map]
(B) Slots of availability (available)  slotone:slottwo
(C) Slots of availability selected by student (availablestudent) empty

In (B), I assume the names of the two instructor-assigned slots were
slotone and slottwo.

Students will also be able to select any student-selectable slots you
have created which are currently open for reservation.

> And it seems to have worked fine so far.  Did I do something wrong in
> setting (A), (B) or (C)?

(A) and (C) was set correctly, but (B) was not.

As regards working fine so far, I guess that conclusion rather depends
on what you were trying to achieve, and also on what criteria you use
to determine success in your use of slots.

Stuart Raeburn
LON-CAPA Academic Consortium