[LON-CAPA-users] How to put students into a "Pre-assigned" time slot

Amos Lee lee at math.usask.ca
Sat Sep 7 00:45:56 EDT 2013

Thanks, Stuart.

I got lost somewhere in Step 8. I am not seeing 8(a) and 8(b) listed in the
column for the demo student I am testing with.  Maybe I don't understand
some of the slot parameters correctly and had set some of themwrong
beforehand.

   What is the difference between the following two parameters?

  - Slots of availability
  - Slots of availability selected by student

   Say, I want to have 5 slots available for students to select, and 2
slots for instructors to assign. How should the following three parameters
be set when viewed from "Edit Resource Parameters - Table Mode"?

(A) Use slot based access controls (useslots) [map_map]
(B) Slots of availability (available)         [7]
(C) Slots of availability selected by student (availablestudent) [empty]

   I would set (A) to [map_map].  I would generally set (B) to 7 (where 7
is the maximum number of slots that I would need--student_selectable ones
plus instructor assignable ones)--even though I don't really know how to
use instructor assignable slots yet.  And then left (C) as empty.

   And it seems to have worked fine so far.  Did I do something wrong in
setting (A), (B) or (C)?

   Does (B) - (A) equal to the number of instructor assignable slots?

   Should I have set (B) to 7 and set (C) to 5 instead?

Amos Lee
Univ of Sask