[LON-CAPA-users] How to put students into a "Pre-assigned" time slot

Stuart Raeburn raeburn at msu.edu
Wed Sep 4 19:53:49 EDT 2013

Hi,

> ... But I don't
> know how to put students into the pre-assigned time slots. I don't see any
> options of doing it. Am I missing something?

The procedure for putting students into "Instructor-assigned" (also
termed "preassigned") time slots is as follows.

1. Create the slot using:
Main Menu -> Manage slots -> Create a New Slot

2. When creating the slot, check the radio button for "Instructor
assignable" in the Type row. Proceed through the remainder of the
screens and push the "Save" button on the last screen.

3. Use Course Contents to display a listing of content in the course.

4. Click on a resource for which you wish the preassigned slot to
apply (opening folders as necessary) in order to display the resource.

5. Click on the "Modify parameter settings for this resource" link in
the Functions menu.

6. In the "Additional Display Specification" table at the top of the
page, enter the username of a student to whom you wish to pre-assign
the time slot

7. Click the "Update Parameter Display" button.

8. In the appropriate "User <username> at Domain usask column (either
"for Enclosing Map or Folder" or "for Resource") click on the * for
the following rows:

(a)  Use slot based access controls [Part: 0] (useslots)
(b)  Slots of availability [Part: 0] (available)

In the pop-up window for each  ...

for (a) choose one of the options:
(i) Yes, and the scope of student selected slot is a single resource.
(ii) Yes, and the scope of student selected slot is the enclosing
map/folder. When checking in, it applies to only one resource.
(iii) Yes, and the scope of student selected slot is the enclosing
map/folder. When checking in, all resources in the map/folder are
checked in.

For (b) enter the name of the slot created at step 1.

Click Save in each pop-up window.

Steps 6 through 8 can be completed for additional students.

Alternatively, you could create a group which would contain all
students for whom the particular preassigned slot should apply using:

Groups (inline menu) -> Create a new group.

If you are using this group purely to assign parameters, then you can
leave the checkboxes for all the "Collaborative Tools" unchecked on
the group creation screen.  You will define criteria used to provide a
list of potential group members at step 3. "Build a list of users for
selection of group members". You will actually identify the group
members by checking the boxes at step 5 "Group membership".  Make sure
that the start and end dates for the group members encompass with the
time period when the preassigned time slot is to be used.

If you use a group to assign the slot, then at step 6 (above) you
would select the group name from the Group: dropdown list in the
Group/Section row in the "Additional Display Specification (optional)
table (then click "Update Parameter Display").  At step 8 (above) you
would click * for the appropriate column in the column set entitled:
"in Group <groupname>.

Note you could also use a section instead of a group, if all students
to whom the particular preassigned slot is to be assigned are in the
same section, and that slot should be assigned to all students in the
section.

Stuart Raeburn
LON-CAPA Academic Consortium