[LON-CAPA-users] Forcing students to submit valid expressions for formula responses.

Peter Dencker dencker at math.uni-luebeck.de
Wed Oct 30 18:50:51 EDT 2013

Hi,

I don't think that it is helpful to give hints for syntactically
correct but semantically incorrect submissions: How can one know
what the student means? Students have to learn to produce valid
expressions. One could write simple problems for that purpose and
a short manual.

In my option using customresponse is the appropriate method.
You can find an example (source available) how to check your
mentioned most common syntax problems in

'scl/dencker/testing/examples/simple syntax check 1.problem'

This example is a (hopefully correct) reduction of a more
ambitious library. The library has to be rewritten and is not finished
yet - to put it mildly. I will keep you informed ...

- Peter

Am 21.10.2013 16:23, schrieb Angus Findlay:
> When I give students formula response questions some of them don’t submit valid mathematic expressions. The most common problems are:
>
> 1) Not having balanced brackets. (i.e. number of left brackets do not match number of right brackets)
> 2) Including invalid characters, such as quotation signs.
> 3) Not including brackets, when necessary. (eg. 2^-1/2 instead of 2^(-1/2))
>
> I want to tell them that the expression is invalid, tell them why, and allow them to enter it again, without penalty. (Right now my LON-CAPA server times out on them, and asks them to try again later.)
>
> Is there a piece of standard code I can use for this, or if not, what it the easiest to implement a solution to this?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Respectfully,
> Mr. Angus Findlay
> Math Department, Mount Allison University
> Sackville, New Brunswick
>
> email: afindlay at mta.ca    tel: 506-364-2592

Dr. Peter Dencker
    wissenschaftl. Mitarbeiter