[LON-CAPA-users] Bubblesheet Grading: Use same CODE for a copy of a course folder?

Stuart Raeburn raeburn at msu.edu
Thu Feb 21 11:51:12 EST 2013

Hi,

> I am not sure about the way how the CODEs and randomization are
> created.

When a CODE has been specified, the random seed to be used is
generated from a digest of the CODE, the courseID, and the identifier
for the unique resource instance (known as the 'symb').

Whenever bubblesheet grading is used to grade an assignment the CODE
used during the grading pass is stored in the student's record for
that assignment.  Subsequently, whenever that resource is rendered for
that student (e.g., student viewing answers etc.), the CODE will be
retrieved and used to re-generate the random seed for that particular
instance of the resource.

If I understand correctly your description of the situation you are
facing, a student taking exam 2 received a printed exam of (let's say)
three pages, containing the following components:

Page  Origin of questions  CODE used in printout (and shown in header line)
1     Folder B             1345
2     Folder A             2262
3     Folder B             1345

where page 2 was a page that also occurred in exam 1, and the student
bubbled in a single CODE for this exam -- 1345 -- i.e., the CODE shown
on the first page of the exam.

> My idea:
> - Copy the course folder of the first exam

I don't see this working. The copied folder will contain different
symbs, so the randomseed will be different for a given CODE, and the
randomization could therefore be different from that which applied
when page 2 was originally printed for exam 1 (but mistakenly included
as page 2 of exam 2).

The solution I would adopt would be to:

1. Create two raw bubblesheet results files, by separating the student
Folder B.  StudentIDs, names etc. will be duplicated in the two raw
data files.

2. Upload the first of the derived raw data files to the course via
the bubblesheet grading menu.

3. Hide the resources in Folder B, which were missing from the printed
exam 2 students received.

4. Grade the Folder B exam using the first derived bubblesheet file,
now containing only bubbles for the resources from Folder B, with the
checkbox checked for "Skip hidden resources when grading".

5. Replace the CODE in each line of the other derived bubblesheet raw
data file (i.e., change it from 1345 to 2262)

6. Upload the second derived bubblesheet file, containing only bubbles
for the resources from Folder A, via the bubblesheet grading menu.

7. Hide the resources in Folder A, which did not appear in the printed
exam 2 students received.

8. Grade the Folder A exam using the second derived bubblesheet file,
now containing only bubbles for the resources from Folder A, with the
checkbox checked for "Skip hidden resources when grading".

Note: to compute Exam 2 scores you will need to combine totals from
both Folder A and Folder B.  This suggested approach also assumes that
a given student was only assigned to either Exam 1 or Exam 2.

Stuart Raeburn
LON-CAPA Academic Consortium