[LON-CAPA-users] Bubblesheet Grading: Use same CODE for a copy of a course folder?

Stefan Bisitz st.bisitz at ostfalia.de
Thu Feb 21 13:41:10 EST 2013

Thanks for your help so far.

I try to follow your suggestions - still fighting with some other major
issues in the background, so I'd like to apologize if I'm not capable to
fully follow all the details.

One important hint:
 > The copied folder will contain different
 > symbs, so the randomseed will be different for a given CODE, and the
 > randomization could therefore be different [...]

So, we cannot use this way. Would have been nice. I understand why this
cannot work.

 > [...]
 > Note: to compute Exam 2 scores you will need to combine totals from both
 > Folder A and Folder B.  This suggested approach also assumes that a
 > given student was only assigned to either Exam 1 or Exam 2.

Seems this is the problem. Some of them already took part at the first exam.

I try to explain what happend:

Exam 1:
Two weeks ago, Folder A, CODE 1111 and 2222, 120 students, randomly
assigend one of the two assigments (some with CODE 1111, some with CODE
2222), already graded. Fine. Done.

Exam 2:
- Plan:
Today, Folder B, CODE 3333 and 4444, 120 students (mostly the same as in
exam 1!), randomly assigend one of the two assigments (some with CODE
3333, some with CODE 4444). Later on: grade.
- What actually happend:
One random half got assigned the assigment with CODE 3333 (that's fine),
but the other half got assigend with the assigment from exam 1 with CODE
2222.

Please be aware of that some (statistically one forth) of the latter
students already did the exam 1 / folder A.

The best solution we could think of would be to grade the data for the
latter case as a new assigment which needs to be created now. This
appears not to be possible.

So, I guess Stuarts solution is not possible. Any chance?

"Half-Manual" grading, as Ray suggests, might be possible. We don't need
the students to see the grades online though having the data in LON-CAPA
would be good, e.g. for build-in statistics and so.

Thanks
Stefan Bisitz

Am 21.02.2013 18:00 schrieb Raymond Batchelor:
 > I am also unsure about what *exactly* happened.
 > What I do believe, is that the exam questions generated for any
particular CODE are also dependent upon the exact course and sequence
from which it was generated.

 > So, it seems easier, to me, to move students rather than questions.
 >
 > Thus, my solution in a similar situation (since the students have
already answered the questions) might be to enroll these students in
both courses from which their exam questions were generated. One could
set these students as enrolled "in the past", so as to distinguish them
from current students and prevent them from seeing the "process".
 > Unfortunately, it sounds to me like the switched questions were only
*some* of the questions from a particular sequence, rather than an
entire sequence.

 > Of course if there are only 4 different exam versions, it might just
be simpler to grab the key answers for those versions and grade the
students outside LON-CAPA in a spreadsheet or database (which is what I
like to do anyway).  Of course this will not satisfy you if you were
expecting to open up those questions for the students in LON-CAPA afterward.

 > Perhaps someone who is intimate with the programming of this can
suggest how you might make one course-sequence mimic a different
course-sequence.

 > Not me .... though I am intrigued as to what the best solution might be.
 >
 > We had something like this happen once, but it was an entire exam
taken from a previous course.  We fortunately did not plan to open up
those questions to the students online, ever.  So, we just enrolled the
students in the original course, graded them and output the scores from
Chart, for inclusion elsewhere.