[LON-CAPA-users] Student LON-CAPA activity confirmation

Gerd Kortemeyer korte at lite.msu.edu
Sat Nov 3 13:44:39 EDT 2012

Hi,

The grading record and the activity logs are kept separately. There is no way an assignment can get completely lost (unless a machine got restored from an old backup) - in 74 million homework assignments, it never happened.

Things that have happened is that students solve other students' problems: a friend or roommate leaves a computer up with an active session, the other person walks up to the session thinking it's their own, and happily do somebody else's homework. The first person firmly believes that they did their homework.

You can prevent the above problem if you have students keep track of the receipt numbers: require them to write down the receipts. This allows to keep track of whether the receipt is valid and whose receipt it is. The receipt is algorithmically generated, so it is independent of disk storage.

- Gerd.