[LON-CAPA-users] Managing Time Slots - setting "Problem Opening Date" and "Content Opening Date"

Stuart Raeburn raeburn at msu.edu
Wed Jul 11 11:56:41 EDT 2012

Hi,

If you are using student-scheduled slots to control access to a
resource in LON-CAPA then you need to ensure that the open date is
before the date when you would like students to begin making
reservations.

For resources with slot-based access, students will not actually be
able to view the content of the resource until the slot they reserved
opens (and they are checked in).

Problem Opening Date (opendate) is used for resources which are either
LON-CAPA .problem or .task files, whereas Content Opening Date
(contentopen) is for other types of resource.  Given that LON-CAPA's
cascading parameter scheme allows parameters to be set on a folder
level for folders which may contain both .problems and other
resources, you may decide to set both a Problem Opening Date and a
Content Opening Date for a folder.

Note, however, that the behavior of .problem files and other resources
is different in the case where no opening dates have been set.

The default for .problem (and .task) files is to *not* be shown to the
student, if no opendate is set, whereas the default for other
resources is to be shown, if no contentopen is set.

So in your case (when using slots) you should ensure that a problem
opening date, on or before the start reservation date has been set
(e.g., for the folder containing the items with slot-based access).
The content opening date can be left unset (as long as a course-level
content opening date has not been set, which is later than the start
reservation date).

Stuart Raeburn
LON-CAPA Academic Consortium