[LON-CAPA-users] Missing Files?

Gerd Kortemeyer korte at lite.msu.edu
Wed Nov 9 09:34:22 EST 2011

Hi,

On Nov 9, 2011, at 9:00 AM, Robert_Brewington at er.monroe.edu wrote:

> I just went to update a file which hasn't been changed in several years. It "should" be in the folder docs under my root? main? author? folder (/res/brewington). Actually, I think it should be in /res/brewington/Chemistry/docs.

According to the URL below, it was actually just uploaded to a particular course. That would have been done using the Course Editor, and clicking "Upload File." It is not published, and thus would not be anywhere in your /res/brewington space.

> Hmmm, I don't see the folder docs. Somehow the system still knows about the file (I can access the pdf file as usual) but I don't see it in my folders.

Access to the document is limited to the particular course (or its clones). This mechanism was meant for "one-offs" or private documents.

> Looking at the link used by students to access the file, it is
>
> http://monroe.lon-capa.net/adm/wrapper/uploaded/monroe/7Y72961ce10254ec3authorl1/docs/1147448671/6/ReviewTables.pdf?symb=uploaded%2fmonroe%2f7Y72961ce10254ec3authorl1%2fdefault_1147448671%2esequence___6___uploaded%2fmonroe%2f7Y72961ce10254ec3authorl1%2fdocs%2f1147448671%2f6%2fReviewTables%2epdf
>
> Now, I DO see a strange folder Regents_Chemistry_ which I never created. It seems to have a strange directory structure with some numbers; within there I find a docs folder with an unpublished copy of the file (ReviewTables.pdf).

That folder would have been generated if you "dumped" your course into your author space. Usually, that function is meant to archive content which you might want to repurpose later in a different context. It would have been triggered from the Course Editor using the "Dump" tool.

> What is this Regents_Chemistry_ folder? Any thoughts on a) how the docs folder has disappeared,

It's still there, but just within the course.

> and b) how the system is accessing an unpublished file within this folder?

It doesn't. What you are seeing in your course is just within your course, and what you are seeing in your author space is an unpublished "dump" that you must have triggered at some point in time. The files in there are indeed unused.

> How would I update the file?

You have to delete the current file from your course and upload a new one, all in the Course Editor.