[LON-CAPA-users] Missing Files?

Stuart Raeburn raeburn at msu.edu
Wed Nov 9 10:00:43 EST 2011

Hi,

No, there are no missing files here.

> It "should" be in the folder docs under my root? main?  author?
> folder (/res/brewington). Actually, I think it should be in
> /res/brewington/Chemistry/docs.

No, you do not have a directory "docs" in your "Chemistry" folder
within your Construction Space (/home/brewington/public_html/Chemistry
on educog.com) , and so there is no corresponding
/res/brewington/Chemistry/docs in the LON-CAPA shared repository
containing published files from that directory.

The URL for the specific ReviewTables.pdf item to which you refer is:

http://monroe.lon-capa.net/adm/wrapper/uploaded/monroe/7Y72961ce10254ec3authorl1/docs/1147448671/6/ReviewTables.pdf

A part of the path: "uploaded/monroe/7Y72961ce10254ec3authorl1/docs"
tells me that it is a file directly uploaded to a course, in this case
the course is:  monroe_7Y72961ce10254ec3authorl1 ("Regents Chemistry
11/12").

However, the item in the path: /1147448671/ tells me that the file was
originally uploaded to a course on: May 12, 2006.

As this predates the creation date for the Regents Chemistry 11/12
course (July 19, 2011), this file was evidently uploaded to a
predecessor course from which the current one was cloned. And indeed I
see that "Regents Chemistry 11/12" was cloned from a course created
July 1, 2010, which itself was cloned from an existing course etc.,
etc.  It turns out that docs/1147448671/6/ReviewTables.pdf exists in
six different courses (five are evidently cloned).

In any event, to modify the file in "Regents Chemistry 11/12" you need
to select the Course Coordinator role for the course, then click
"Course Editor".

Descend into the "Useful Files" folder and use "Remove" to remove the
current file.  At this point you could upload a new version directly
to the course.

However, a better strategy might be to select your author role and
upload your new version of "Regents Review Tables" to your
Construction Space, and publish it.  Once that is done re-select the
Course Coordinator role in "Regents Chemistry 11/12" and use Course
Editor -> Published Resources (tab) -> Import to import the published
PDF.

That way, in the future whenever you update the file in Construction
Space, and re-publish it, all courses which contain a "Regents Review
Tables" file imported from the shared repository item will
automatically use the latest published version.  (You will be able to
tell these are published as the URL in the course will be
".../res/monroe/brewington/..." instead of "../uploaded/...").

> Now, I DO see a strange folder Regents_Chemistry_ which I never
> created. It seems to have a strange directory structure with some
> numbers; within there I find a docs folder with an unpublished copy
> of the file (ReviewTables.pdf).

The "Regents_Chemistry_" folder in the top level of your Construction
Space was created Jan 25, 2007.  It seems likely that you (or someone
else with access to the course and your Construction Space) created
that folder by using: Course Editor -> "Dump Course Documents to
Construction Space" in an old course.

That "Dump Course Documents to Construction Space" takes all items in
a course (including files uploaded directly into a course) and copies
them to Construction Space.  The idea is that these items can be
renamed, moved etc., and then published once you have a structure you
are comfortable with, in order to facilitate re-use, (as I describe
above).

Stuart Raeburn

Quoting Robert_Brewington at er.monroe.edu: