[LON-CAPA-users] Unresponsive lon-capa

Gerd Kortemeyer lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Mon, 7 Feb 2011 10:23:52 -0500

Hi,

On Feb 7, 2011, at 10:03 AM, D G Teed wrote:

> We've been seeing problems with our lon-capa, where it
> becomes unresponsive, and yet the OS doesn't show
> any problems with load, free RAM, etc.
>
> Restarting httpd and loncontrol seems to reset the situation.
>
> It happened with the previous release, and it is again happening
> while running 2.9.1.  We are using Redhat Enterprise 4, recently updated,
> but again the problems were seen before and after these updates.
>
> Sometimes this appears in the error log:
>
> [error] server reached MaxClients setting, consider raising the MaxClients setting

That can happen if there is a problem that has an endless loop in it: Apache child processes are busy trying to process the request, and of course the users keep hitting "Reload"

> Are there typical things to check when running into an unresponsive service?

Yes, http://(yourserver)/server-status/

- that will show you what the server is busy doing and you can find the problem that's the problem. I'll send you passwords in a minute.

- Gerd.