[LON-CAPA-users] Unresponsive lon-capa

D G Teed lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Mon, 7 Feb 2011 11:03:07 -0400

--90e6ba475e5d8647be049bb28746

Howdy,

We've been seeing problems with our lon-capa, where it
becomes unresponsive, and yet the OS doesn't show
any problems with load, free RAM, etc.

Restarting httpd and loncontrol seems to reset the situation.

It happened with the previous release, and it is again happening
while running 2.9.1.  We are using Redhat Enterprise 4, recently updated,
but again the problems were seen before and after these updates.

Sometimes this appears in the error log:

*[error] server reached MaxClients setting, consider raising the MaxClients
setting*

Ours is currently 150.  I don't like increasing that too much as its
purpose is to keep the system from spiraling down when there is
too much activity.

Sometimes when we have a problem with the server, root will be sent
an email with the status report.

Are there recommended apache configurations we should be looking at?

Are there typical things to check when running into an unresponsive service?

Are there useful log areas aside from /var/log/httpd ?

--Donald Teed

--90e6ba475e5d8647be049bb28746

t<br>becomes unresponsive, and yet the OS doesn&#39;t show<br>any problems =
with load, free RAM, etc.<br><br>Restarting httpd and loncontrol seems to r=
eset the situation.<br>
le running 2.9.1.=A0 We are using Redhat Enterprise 4, recently updated,<br=
>but again the problems were seen before and after these updates.<br><br>
b(0, 0, 0);">[error] server reached MaxClients setting, consider raising th=
urs is currently 150.=A0 I don&#39;t like increasing that too much as its<b=
r>
purpose is to keep the system from spiraling down when there is<br>too much=
 activity.<br><br>Sometimes when we have a problem with the server, root wi=
 apache configurations we should be looking at?<br>
--Donald Teed<br><br>

--90e6ba475e5d8647be049bb28746--