[LON-CAPA-users] Unresponsive lon-capa

Stuart Raeburn lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Mon, 07 Feb 2011 11:00:20 -0500

Hi,

Gerd mentioned the Apache server-status page:
"http://(yourserver)/server-status/" and indicated he would send the
password to access this page.

Starting with LON-CAPA 2.8.0 access to this page (and some other
status pages) was switched from using htpasswd-based authentication
and authorization, to using access control via LON-CAPA (and
configured for a domain by the Domain Coordinator).

When logged into LON-CAPA, Domain Coordinators can view this page via:
Main Menu -> Status of domain servers -> Apache Server Status

A Domain Coordinator can also configure access to this page via:
Main Menu -> Set domain configuration -> Display [Access to server
status pages (checked)]

One of the access modes supported is IP-based, which permits display
of server-status from a specified machine without the need for log-in
to LON-CAPA.  This can be useful for remote monitoring.

> Yes, http://(yourserver)/server-status/
>
> - that will show you what the server is busy doing and you can find
> the problem that's the problem. I'll send you passwords in a minute.

There can be a difficulty here in that once Apache has reached its
maximum clients limit, and all clients are busy, possibly serving
looped processes, it is difficult to get a free Apache client to
display the server-status page.

Stuart Raeburn
MSU LON-CAPA group