[LON-CAPA-users] Help retrieving Survey Information

Gerd Kortemeyer lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Tue, 5 Oct 2010 07:59:47 -0400

Hi,

On Oct 2, 2010, at 12:20 AM, Todd Ruskell wrote:

> Rather than type (or copy/paste) this for every item, I wrote the radiobutton response once in a .library file, and imported it.  I've done this before with survey questions having one response and one part, so didn't think anything of it.

Importing responses as ".library" is somewhat dangerous, yes. The libraries were never meant to be used that way. I have recently looked deeper into this, since the folks are MIT wanted to import a ".problem", and the namespace is a can of worms.

> The problem now is that although those responses exist in the problem, and students answered them, there appears to be no response information available in either statistics or chart, when doing Survey analysis or any other analysis.

Yes, that's the namespace problem, it was never designed this way ...

>  Is there some way I can get hold of that information?  If needed, we can go the route of command-line root access directly on the server.

Going in at the root level and extracting the information from the files would be fairly horrible, and one would lose anonymity. However, the latter can likely not be avoided anymore at this point. If the students still see their answers on the screen, I would suggest the following: switch the problem into regular homework mode, and make a detailed submission report. If that does not work, you might be able to get the information from the grading screen, by acting as if you want to regrade their submissions.

- Gerd.