[LON-CAPA-users] Help retrieving Survey Information

Todd Ruskell lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Thu, 7 Oct 2010 21:25:09 -0600

--001636c5b0d7cdc9820492128e7b

Gerd,

Thanks for the suggestions.  Unfortunately, I seem to have outwitted
myself.  Although the questions, and the "correct" answer appear in the
problem text now, I still am unable to get the student responses.  I can
definitely see how the namespace could be an issue, in terms of defining ids
for imported responses.

For the future, and as advice for other users, at what level would it be
"safe" to use a library?  Should a .library containing
<foilgroup>
</foilgroup>

be safe, such that a snippet of

<radiobuttonresponse>
<import>foilgroup.library</import>
</radiobuttonresponse>

would work?  I'm guessing that the foilgroups are local to the <response>,
so there wouldn't be any namespace issues here?

Todd

On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 5:59 AM, Gerd Kortemeyer <korte@lite.msu.edu> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Oct 2, 2010, at 12:20 AM, Todd Ruskell wrote:
> >
> > Rather than type (or copy/paste) this for every item, I wrote the
> radiobutton response once in a .library file, and imported it.  I've done
> this before with survey questions having one response and one part, so
> didn't think anything of it.
>
> Importing responses as ".library" is somewhat dangerous, yes. The libraries
> were never meant to be used that way. I have recently looked deeper into
> this, since the folks are MIT wanted to import a ".problem", and the
> namespace is a can of worms.
>

> > The problem now is that although those responses exist in the problem,
> and students answered them, there appears to be no response information
> available in either statistics or chart, when doing Survey analysis or any
> other analysis.
>
> Yes, that's the namespace problem, it was never designed this way ...
>

> >  Is there some way I can get hold of that information?  If needed, we can
> go the route of command-line root access directly on the server.
>
> Going in at the root level and extracting the information from the files
> would be fairly horrible, and one would lose anonymity. However, the latter
> can likely not be avoided anymore at this point. If the students still see
> their answers on the screen, I would suggest the following: switch the
> problem into regular homework mode, and make a detailed submission report.
> If that does not work, you might be able to get the information from the
> grading screen, by acting as if you want to regrade their submissions.
>
> - Gerd.

--001636c5b0d7cdc9820492128e7b

Gerd,<br><br>Thanks for the suggestions.=A0 Unfortunately, I seem to have o=
utwitted myself.=A0 Although the questions, and the &quot;correct&quot; ans=
wer appear in the problem text now, I still am unable to get the student re=
sponses.=A0 I can definitely see how the namespace could be an issue, in te=
rms of defining ids for imported responses.<br>

e &quot;safe&quot; to use a library?=A0 Should a .library containing<br>&lt=
a snippet of<br>

ng that the foilgroups are local to the &lt;response&gt;, so there wouldn&#=
39;t be any namespace issues here?<br>

Gerd Kortemeyer <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:korte@lite.msu.edu"=
class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); m=
argin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">

Hi,<br>
On Oct 2, 2010, at 12:20 AM, Todd Ruskell wrote:<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Rather than type (or copy/paste) this for every item, I wrote the radi=
obutton response once in a .library file, and imported it. =A0I&#39;ve done=
 this before with survey questions having one response and one part, so did=
n&#39;t think anything of it.<br>

s. The libraries were never meant to be used that way. I have recently look=
ed deeper into this, since the folks are MIT wanted to import a &quot;.prob=
lem&quot;, and the namespace is a can of worms.<br>

&gt;<br>
&gt; The problem now is that although those responses exist in the problem,=
 and students answered them, there appears to be no response information av=
ailable in either statistics or chart, when doing Survey analysis or any ot=
her analysis.<br>

 ...<br>
&gt; =A0Is there some way I can get hold of that information? =A0If needed,=
 we can go the route of command-line root access directly on the server.<br=

les would be fairly horrible, and one would lose anonymity. However, the la=
tter can likely not be avoided anymore at this point. If the students still=
 see their answers on the screen, I would suggest the following: switch the=
 problem into regular homework mode, and make a detailed submission report.=
 If that does not work, you might be able to get the information from the g=
rading screen, by acting as if you want to regrade their submissions.<br>

- Gerd.<br>