[LON-CAPA-users] Re: LONG wait times for changing course parameter settings

Alison A Baski/FS/VCU lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Mon, 19 Oct 2009 15:26:40 -0400

--=_alternative 006AD02985257654_=

Hello Gerd,
Thanks for the information.  I did delete about half of the parameters
which were no longer used and it appears to have helped somewhat.
Interestingly, it appears that the "wait time" is about 15 seconds longer
(or about 35 sec) on our library server vs. our main server (about 20
sec).
Alison

Gerd Kortemeyer <korte@lite.msu.edu>
Sent by: lon-capa-users-admin@mail.lon-capa.org
10/19/2009 11:57 AM
Please respond to
lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org

lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
cc
Sally S Hunnicutt/FS/VCU <sshunnic@vcu.edu>, Mikhail Reshchikov/FS/VCU
<mreshchi@vcu.edu>
Subject
Re: [LON-CAPA-users] LONG wait times for changing course parameter
settings

Hi,

You might have a few left-over parameters from the previous
incarnations of the course.

Do

Main Menu
  -> Modify parameter settings (due dates, etc) for resources and the
course
    -> Existing Parameter Settings for Your Resources: Modify Resource
Parameters - Overview Mode

You might want to delete a lot of those, which might not apply to
anything anymore.

- Gerd.

On Oct 19, 2009, at 9:48 AM, Alison A Baski/FS/VCU wrote:

> Hello,
> I help manage several LON-CAPA courses and have noticed that one of
> them has very long wait times when changing course parameter settings.
> Our PHYS207 course has a wait time of about 40 seconds after hitting
> the "update parameter display" key. This becomes very distressing if
> there are four parameters that need to be changed for multiple
> assignments every week.
> Interestingly, most of our other courses have wait times of only
> about 15 to 20 seconds when updating parameters.
> The PHYS207 course is our "oldest" LON-CAPA course and has been
> cloned about ten times now since 2005 (each clone from the previous
> semester's version). Could that be an issue?
>
> Thanks,
> Alison

--=_alternative 006AD02985257654_=

did delete about half of the parameters which were no longer used and it
appears to have helped somewhat.</font>
time&quot; is about 15 seconds longer (or about 35 sec) on our library
server vs. our main server (about 20 sec). &nbsp; <br>
Alison</font>
Mikhail Reshchikov/FS/VCU &lt;mreshchi@vcu.edu&gt;</font>
for changing course parameter settings</font></table>
You might have a few left-over parameters from the previous &nbsp;<br>
incarnations of the course.<br>
Do<br>
Main Menu<br>
 &nbsp;-&gt; Modify parameter settings (due dates, etc) for resources and
the &nbsp;<br>
course<br>
 &nbsp; &nbsp;-&gt; Existing Parameter Settings for Your Resources: Modify
Resource &nbsp;<br>
Parameters - Overview Mode<br>
You might want to delete a lot of those, which might not apply to &nbsp;<br>
anything anymore.<br>
- Gerd.<br>
On Oct 19, 2009, at 9:48 AM, Alison A Baski/FS/VCU wrote:<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Hello,<br>
&gt; I help manage several LON-CAPA courses and have noticed that one of
&nbsp;<br>
&gt; them has very long wait times when changing course parameter settings.<br>
&gt; Our PHYS207 course has a wait time of about 40 seconds after hitting
&nbsp;<br>
&gt; the &quot;update parameter display&quot; key. This becomes very distressing
if &nbsp;<br>
&gt; there are four parameters that need to be changed for multiple &nbsp;<br>
&gt; assignments every week.<br>
&gt; Interestingly, most of our other courses have wait times of only &nbsp;<br>
&gt; about 15 to 20 seconds when updating parameters.<br>
&gt; The PHYS207 course is our &quot;oldest&quot; LON-CAPA course and has
been &nbsp;<br>
&gt; cloned about ten times now since 2005 (each clone from the previous
&nbsp;<br>
&gt; semester's version). Could that be an issue?<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Thanks,<br>
&gt; Alison<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Dr. Alison Baski, Chair and Associate Professor<br>
&gt; Department of Physics<br>
&gt; Virginia Commonwealth University<br>
&gt; 701 W. Grace St..; &nbsp; Richmond, VA &nbsp;23284-2000<br>
&gt; Ph: 804-828-8295, Fax: 828-7073, aabaski@vcu.edu<br>