[LON-CAPA-users] Drop Box - Essay Response file checking

Mark Lucas lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Thu, 14 Feb 2008 16:00:16 -0500

Todd,

A couple sides to this. First, it's actually David Ingram, our
calc-based coordinator that's complaining a bit about this.

I'm thinking the following:

* All we really do is check the file extension. Anybody wanting to do
something malicious can just change the extension to get it uploaded. I
guess it would not automatically open on the other end when downloaded,
so that would be some protection, but I don't think we check files for
being executables or the like (I'll be happily surprised if we do).

* There are issues of listing all the extensions you are willing to
accept. The default list for the drop box currently accepts a bunch, but
not docx (word 2007), rtf, or wps (microsoft works document). Making
sure you've got everything you want is a bit of a pain, though certainly
manageable.

So I'm just poking around to make sure I have the story straight when I

Later,
Mark