[LON-CAPA-users] Online Exam Questions

Gerd Kortemeyer lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Sat, 14 Jul 2007 02:01:46 -0400

Hi,

On Jul 13, 2007, at 8:31 PM, Guy Albertelli II wrote:

>>> 1) Unless you want them to get hints you probably want to
>>> increase the
>>> number of tries before hints appears to a large value.
>
> Should 'Hide problem status' turn both of these off automagically?
>
> Does anyone want hints when hidproblem status is on? (I could see
> wanting the generalized hint maybe but I suspect adpative hints should
> go)

You could also show hints which have the "show even if correct"
switched on.

>> 3) Make sure you don't have any problems which have the "ordered"
>> parameter
>> in effect. If it's in effect, it will basically let the student
>> know if they
>> got a part correct before they can move on. DAMHIKT
>
> Good point. Should this
>
> - turn of 'ordered' if on
> OR
> - make it so orderd just requires them to attempt the part before
>   showing the next part?

Both don't really seem like the right default way to go, since
sometimes subsequent problem parts give away to the solution to the
preceding parts, e.g.,

"Now that we have seen that the acceleration does not depend on the
mass, let's ..."

Maybe we need to acknowledge that "Hide Problem Status" and "Ordered"
are simply contradictory, leave the functionality unchanged, but
maybe put up a large red instructor warning that this setting makes
no sense. Granted, that would be the first time that we smack a
warning onto the instructor's view of a problem, but maybe that's a
good thing to start doing, i.e., warn people if with certain settings
or configurations they might be shooting themselves into the foot.

I don't know if the Exam Parameter Helper is still on the books, but
it might be good idea to have a helper in PARM which let's you set
all of the relevant parameters to turn a folder into an exam (written
or online could be the first question) and gives you some advice.

- Gerd.