[LON-CAPA-users] which texts play well with loncapa

lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Tue, 23 Jan 2007 14:31:29 -0500

I have been trying to get the Giancoli people (Pearson Prentice Hall) to
get me access to their problems for several months now (since October). The
sales rep replies they are working on it, but nothing has happened yet.

James' post has me concerned -

1) Is there anything in particular I can do to speed this process up?

2) Is anyone using the Giancoli (algebra) questions, and are they OK? I
hate to go through all this and find the problems are not very useful
anyway.

Thanks,
brew

-----lon-capa-users-admin@mail.lon-capa.org wrote: -----

To: lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
From: "James A. Mueller" <mueller+@pitt.edu>
Sent by: lon-capa-users-admin@mail.lon-capa.org
Date: 01/23/2007 12:35PM
Subject: [LON-CAPA-users] which texts play well with loncapa

Well the textbook reps have started to come by to inform us about new
editions (continuing the upgrade cycle) of their calculus based
textbook.  This raises a question: Which textbooks play well with
loncapa?  We are currently using Young and Freedman, which has no
loncapa problems (although they do have their own proprietary system).
For the algebra-based sequence, we use Cutnell and Johnson, which does
have some problems in /res/wiley/cutnell, but these problems are
terrible!  They throw errors, sometimes the answers are not even
correct, and in general are useless.  Since we are going to have to
decide which will be the new "official" textbook, what information
should we bring to the table as far as loncapa compatibility is
concerned.