[LON-CAPA-users] which texts play well with loncapa

Gerd Kortemeyer lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Tue, 23 Jan 2007 13:09:14 -0500

On Jan 23, 2007, at 12:35 PM, James A. Mueller wrote:

> Well the textbook reps have started to come by to inform us about new
> editions (continuing the upgrade cycle) of their calculus based
> textbook.  This raises a question: Which textbooks play well with
> loncapa?  We are currently using Young and Freedman, which has no
> loncapa problems (although they do have their own proprietary system).
> For the algebra-based sequence, we use Cutnell and Johnson, which does
> have some problems in /res/wiley/cutnell, but these problems are
> terrible!  They throw errors, sometimes the answers are not even
> correct, and in general are useless.  Since we are going to have to
> decide which will be the new "official" textbook, what information
> should we bring to the table as far as loncapa compatibility is
> concerned.

These are the currently available textbooks:

http://www.educog.com/publisher.html

But there are a lot of problems in LON-CAPA that are not part of
textbook libraries. In intro physics, see

  /res/msu/physicslib/
  /res/msu/mmp/
  /res/msu/kortemey/physicslib/
  /res/msu/kashy/physicsLib02/
  /res/ohiou/OUp200lib/
  /res/ohiou/OUp250lib/
... etc, etc, ...

In my course, I don't use any textbook at all. Instead, we use all
online material in LON-CAPA. Let me know if you would like guest access.

- Gerd.