[LON-CAPA-users] Please Assist with LON-CAPA assessment module

Dale, Tanieth lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Tue, 24 Apr 2007 09:36:39 -0600

On 4/24/07 5:59 AM, "Gerd Kortemeyer" <korte@lite.msu.edu> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Apr 23, 2007, at 5:17 PM, Dale, Tanieth wrote:
>

>> We do not want the students to have these various buttons (eg.CAT,
>> EVAL and
>> more specifically PRT) Is it possible to remove these links on the
>> assessment.
>
> As Guy already wrote, you can only remove them if you modify the
> mydesk.tab table as explained.
>
> You can sort of disable them, though:
>
> * for PRT, you can wrap your text into <web>...</web> - that will
> make it visible on the web, but not in print. Of course, people can
> always print out one web page at a time from the browser (does not
> look as nice as with PRT)
> * for CAT, you can set the folder to "encrypted URL" (probably a good
> idea anyway for test)
I'll have to find where this option is set.

> EVAL cannot be disabled.
>
> May I ask what the issue is?
>
> * too much space taken up?
> * too distracting?
> * security concerns?

Primarily the distraction and the consumption of screen realty.
Although security (ie:Giving Students the ability to print the exam) is a
concern, fixing this problem within LON-CAPA is not a solution since a
simple SAVE AS... Or a Print Screen or Print Page will expose the same
results. We are investigating "LOCK DOWN Browsers" for the purposes of
security.