[LON-CAPA-users] Importing library routines

lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Thu, 31 Aug 2006 00:19:01 -0400 (EDT)

Ed,

I can't help inserting my $0.02 here 8)  LON-CAPA is not a homework
system, it is an assessment and course delivery system (and learning
content management system, etc...). One of the strengths of the system is
that the questions can be used in any number of pedagogical situations -
we don't sit there and dictate how everyone must define and deliver their
assessments.

For homework, agreed - the multiple attempts is a good thing and tries to
be formative in its application.

Here I give reading quizzes that are not difficult at all, nor highly
randomized. Students get a series of multiple choice questions, have a
time limit on the folder, DO get multiple attempts (because of slips of
the mouse primarily), but do not get the status returned. The point is not
for them to get immediate feedback but for them to take an online quiz
that prods them to read. The answers open up a half hour before class when
the quiz closes.

If giving an online practice test, one would presumably do something
similar.

I agree that an instructor needs to think carefully about the mode in
which questions are delivered, but the power of LON-CAPA is that it can
allow a great variety of delivery modes for variety of styles
of assessment.

</$0.02>

Later,
Mark