[LON-CAPA-users] Mass Loading of questions

lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Wed, 30 Aug 2006 12:57:14 -0400

I had another thought on how to help with my large numbers of questions.

Instead of running a single file of 50 questions through the test bank
conversion process, suppose I did the entire conversion myself, creating 50
question files. This would not be hard for me to do, since I already run a
script with a bunch of vi commands to convert to the existing conversion
format.

I then zip the 50 files, upload the zip file, and decompress the file.
Voila! 50 questions with names and contents as I want.

Question 1: Does this work? I tried it and it appeared to work. However,
maybe there are problems with database entries, hidden support files, etc
which I am not aware of? Or is all this handled when the files are
published?

This still does not address the need to delete entire directories, or to
scan and replace large numbers of files. It would be very useful if I could
do the reverse process:

1) zip the contents of a directory
2) download to my machine, where I can grep and vi to my heart's content,
3) re-load the files to LonCapa, replacing the existing files.

Question 2: does anyone have ways of doing steps 1 & 2?

Thanks,brew