[LON-CAPA-users] disabling PRT

Todd Ruskell lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Thu, 09 Sep 2004 16:59:41 -0600

Ray,

On Thu, 2004-09-09 at 15:52, Ray Batchelor wrote:
> Hi Todd,
>                The endgame is this:
>
> Running online quizzes; only one try each question;
But here students could still use the browser print function or do a
screen capture.

> for some problems there
> are always issues with the PRT and therefore I just don't want to be bothered
> with it (for example problems with multiple in-line textline boxes inside a
> table and with images).  In this particular instance we are already
> discouraging the students from printing.  Hiding the PRT option would simplfy
> this and make problem creation less tedious.  A possible practical solution
> is to hard code in a "No PRT" argument to the <problem>?  The reason I say
> this is because if they really are unprintable then we don't really want
> anyone printing them.

I can certainly see this argument.  Apparently I haven't created
fancy-enough problems :/.

> The question is: "Should all resources be functional wrt to PRT? or is there a
> category of resources which could be intended as web-only."
>   Which makes me realize that I could have coded everything inside <web>
> </web>tags, but it was not obvious to me at the time that this is what I
> would always want (nor is it now).
>
> On the other hand allowing people to switch off PRT from within PARM would
> allow all users to decide whether they want PRT available in their course
> resources.
>
> Comments?
Given your arguments, I'd go with author control, so each cc wouldn't
have to determine whether or not a resource would blow up when printed.
Can resources like movies be PRTed?  What happens?  I've never tried.

But being of two minds, I would argue that a truly compliant resource
would be both web and print compatible.  Just how compatible, I'm not
sure.  ie:  In print mode a simple message "Cool video clip here" or
some such would, I suppose, technically be compatible.

Or maybe a compromise.  Stuff that looks "printable", ie: problems, web
pages, graphics, really should be print compatible, while other
resources, like movies, shouldn't.

I'll stop rambling now.

Todd

--
Dr. Todd Ruskell
Lecturer, Department of Physics		Office: Meyer Hall 326