[LON-CAPA-users] Portable Exam Scanner

Gerd Kortemeyer lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Tue, 8 Jun 2004 17:39:43 -0400

Hi Jim,

On May 25, 2004, at 1:11 PM, Jim Maxka wrote:

> Don't forget the paper!

Yep.

> We have dealt with these scanner people in the past and I found out
> that most of them sell the hardware at cost and make up their profit
> by exhorbitant fees on the sheets.  We would currently pay $0.09 a
> sheet for the one shown on the web page.

I have asked Scantron to give me a quote for the custom sheets I mocked
up at the bottom of

  http://www.lon-capa.org/examscanner.html

- at a quantity of 5000, the price per sheet would be 28 cents, which
is prohibitive.

I think I have the geometry of the sheets down to fractions of a
millimeter,  and the exact colors and contrasts from the spec sheet of
the scanner - I wonder how much MSU printshop would charge. Sorry, this
is just more fun than writing grants.

- Gerd.