[LON-CAPA-users] Hidden problem parts

Tue, 17 Aug 2004 00:43:58 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Steve,

> When creating a problem set with a published problem that has multiple
> parts, we're struggling a bit with how to hide/eliminate certain parts.
> Here are the difficulties we're having:
>
> 1) In PPRM for that problem, the parts usually come up with cryptic
> names (part11_12), is there a quick or easy way to see which actual
> problem part corresponds to which cryptic name?

GRDS would probably be the best, view problem text with answers, the
answers also have the part id associated with that answer in there.

> 2) In PPRM for that problem, it would *seem* that the way to get rid of
> parts would be to select the "List of Hidden Parts" or perhaps
> "Resource hidden from students" switches. (which one do we want?)

List of Hidden Parts,

"Resource hidden from student" hides the _entire_existance_ of the
resource. (Good for exams.)

> In some cases we've looked at, neither of those actually show up for
> any parts except part 0! Is there a way around this?

Well that is "correct" behaviour, you are supposed to set at the part
'0' level what parts are hidden.

> Also, when they do show up, selecting it pops up a little menu which
> needs a string value - but what string value is it looking for to hide
> the part?

A comma seperated list of part ids

i.e. 11,13

You acn also go the other way with !

I.e. !12  means hide all parts except for 12.

> 3) Is there an easier way to do all this?!

Well there is an existing bug report to turn the string inpt field
into a checkbox of parts for the problem in question. But I no one has
gotten to that request yet.

--
guy@albertelli.com  LON-CAPA Developer  0-7-3-9-