[LON-CAPA-users] essay/survey: giving credit for participation

Thu, 12 Aug 2004 00:05:41 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Steve,

> 1) If I have a series of questions for my survey, does each one have to
> be a separate "part"? In that case, there may be a lot of points that
> end up getting associated with the survey. Perhaps there's a simple way
> to set it up internally so, say, all parts are worth zero points except
> one final "click here to submit all and get credit" button? (I think I
> know how to do this with parameter settings, though it seems like it'll
> be pretty tedious if there are lots of parts)
>
> Maybe related - can I turn off all the individual "Submit Answer"
> bubbles (on each part) and have one single "submit all" at the bottom
> that's worth the point?

Todd answer is correct here.

Note that even in survey mode they will only get credit for the single
part if and only if they submit an answer to every single <*response>
inside the part.

If they skip one, their answer is recorded and shows up in the stats
but they won't get credit.

> 2) <essayresponse> seems to automatically generate a little box which
> lets students choose between submitting now or storing. For my survey,
> that option isn't needed (they could always come back if they want to
> fix it up later) Any way to turn that box off (and make "submit" just
> be the default?)

Todd is once again correct. Nope.

> 3) In the FAQ-o-matic, there's a question "I just want a list of all
> the tags and functions supported by LON-CAPA" (which might conceivably
> answer the previous two question for me?!) but the links give me "Bad
> Request" errors.

Aye the Faq-O-Matic is in sections horribly out of date.

The information that used to be at that link is now chapters 6 and 7
in the authoring manual.

Which is also about a year out of date.

Anyone want to update it? :-)

> 4) Is there a canonical "demo" login for msu.loncapa.org, or does one
> need to get an account set up on that?

So a little realized feature of Lon-CAPA is that you can use you
single login to login to _any_machine_ in the network.

So if you go to msu.loncapa.org and enter your existing login
information you will be able to do everything you normally can do.

Except you'll be doing it through the MSU servers.

Normally this isn't very exciting but at times like this when some
machines are updated and others aren't it can be a way to take a look
at what the new version looks like in a fairly low risk way.

So go on. Login into msu.loncapa.org wt=ith your normal credentials
(don't forget to change the domain line from msu to your domain) and
give 1.1.99.4 a spin with your existing courses. Get a taste of 1.2
before everyone else. Everyone else will be jealous. :-)

--
guy@albertelli.com  LON-CAPA Developer  0-7-3-9-