[LON-CAPA-users] essay/survey: giving credit for participation

Todd Ruskell lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Wed, 11 Aug 2004 21:20:54 -0600 (MDT)

Steve,

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004, Steven Pollock wrote:

> 1) If I have a series of questions for my survey, does each one have to
> be a separate "part"? In that case, there may be a lot of points that
> end up getting associated with the survey. Perhaps there's a simple way
> to set it up internally so, say, all parts are worth zero points except
> one final "click here to submit all and get credit" button? (I think I
> know how to do this with parameter settings, though it seems like it'll
> be pretty tedious if there are lots of parts)
>
> Maybe related - can I turn off all the individual "Submit Answer"
> bubbles (on each part) and have one single "submit all" at the bottom
> that's worth the point?

This piece is relatively easy.  A "Part" is not limited to a single
<essayresponse> or <radiobuttonresponse> field.  You can have several of
them within a single part.  If I recall correctly, it is only the </part>
tag that generates the "submit" button.  Note that this can be nasty
(but in a good way?) in
regular problems, because *all* answers would have to be correct
simultaneously in order to receive credit for the part.

> 2) <essayresponse> seems to automatically generate a little box which
> lets students choose between submitting now or storing. For my survey,
> that option isn't needed (they could always come back if they want to
> fix it up later) Any way to turn that box off (and make "submit" just
> be the default?)

Doubt it.  I'll let Guy or someone else correct my ravings above, and
tackle these last two.