[LON-CAPA-users] What makes FDBK bubble go away?

Gerd Kortemeyer lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Thu, 16 Oct 2003 07:36:56 -0400

On Wednesday, October 15, 2003, at 09:42  PM, Lars Jensen wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Oct 2003, Gerd Kortemeyer wrote:
>>
>> Yes. Bubbles are for new discussion since you last left the course or
>> logged out. We need to clean up bubbles quickly when having hundreds
>> of
>> students in a course.
>
> Well, if you teach hundreds of courses, then it is not practical, that
> if you login to one, then the bubbles in all the others go away...
> well,
> I only teach 5 courses per semester,

Not "hundreds of courses" but hundreds of kids in one course. So we
definitely have instructors who teach a lot (5) courses a semester with
a small number of students, and - like here at MSU - instructors who
teach exactly one course, but with lots of students.

Having a scheme where the instructor has to visit every single page
where a kid posted something is not practical for the latter - it is
impossible to keep up with all of the communication in a large course.
I can see where the current mechanism is a problem for instructors who
teach more than one course.