[LON-CAPA-dev] kerberos on rh7.3

Scott Harrison lon-capa-dev@mail.lon-capa.org
Sat, 17 Aug 2002 01:15:38 -0400

Hi Martin and Guy,

Meandering e-mail follows....

Thanks for the kerberos update.  I will test out the latest international
kerberos source (Heimdal, Cygnus, etc).  From what I see, they claim
compatibility with both kerberos 5 now in addition to kerberos 4...latest
version from Heimdal is September 2001.

(Historical note: despite Athena and MIT being plastered all over
 the LON-CAPA-krb4 code, the encryption really was from Sweden:

  usr/local/krb4/info/kth-krb.info:
  This is an attempt at documenting the Kerberos 4 distribution from
  Kungliga Tekniska Hoegskolan (the Royal Institute of Technology in
  Stockholm, Sweden). This distribution is based on eBones, but has been
  improved in many ways. It is more portable, and several new features
  have been added. It should run on any reasonably modern unix-like
  system.

  eBones ripped out all American-written encryption, etc... thus
  MIT and Athena stuff that remains is just a outer covering)

Ideally, password mechanisms can maybe have some level of testing inside
loncom/build/system_dependencies/.

I'm just quasi-pseudo-overjoyed that:
* RedHat and Mandrake are probably shipping MIT Kerberos overseas
* and that anyone can innocently visit any rpm repository, first DOWNLOAD the
  krb5-server RPM, and only THEN read:
     Export of software employing encryption from the United States of
     America may require a specific license from the United States
     Government.  It is the responsibility of any person or organization
     contemplating export to obtain such a license before exporting.

Regards,
Scott