[LON-CAPA-dev] Server Shutdowns/Air Conditioner Failure

Gerd Kortemeyer lon-capa-dev@mail.lon-capa.org
Fri, 31 May 2002 13:53:58 -0400

Hi,

This is the third day without air conditioning in the LITE Lab.

The Physical Plant delayed ordering a new compressor in hope that the
old one would come up again. However, it is indeed fried again (like
always ...).

Air conditioning will not be up again until the first part of the coming
week.

The server room currently reaches temperatures close to 100 degrees
without air conditioning, which is beyond operation specs for the
equipment. I am concerned that over the weekend with outside
temperatures rising and long periods of closed doors, the equipment
might get damaged or shut down uncontrolled.

I am thus proposing to shut down the following machines by the end of
the day to cut down on total heat production:

* s1.lite.msu.edu
* s2.lite.msu.edu
* s3.lite.msu.edu
* s4.lite.msu.edu
* s12.lite.msu.edu (CBI)
* nsdl.lon-capa.org
* lecture.lite.msu.edu (old LectureOnline installation)
* s17.lite.msu.edu
* s14.lite.msu.edu
* bistromath.lite.msu.edu

PLEASE LET ME KNOW BY THE END OF THE DAY IF THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH
SHUTTING DOWN ANY OF THOSE MACHINES (beyond the fact that you will be
unable to work, that is).

This will bring down the LITE Lab to bare minimum operations ... sorry
for the inconvenience.

- Gerd.