[LON-CAPA-dev] sysadm goals

Scott Harrison lon-capa-dev@mail.lon-capa.org
Mon, 25 Feb 2002 12:50:01 -0500

Dear All:

In a positive sense, I like "HANDHOLDing".. that's why
my research cluster runs redhat as opposed to slackware.
(Of course, I was using the term in a humorful sense...but
yes it is a silly choice.)

I understand.. a well-defined interface (a "car") is superior to
a toolbox (nuts, bolts, screwdriver, etc and do-it-yourself manual
to build the car with).

A new user type called system administrator makes even more
sense, since at some point we want them to select from a more
meaningful range of choices than "ADM"...

In other words, use your RPM button idea, and maybe have
ADDHOST, REMOVEHOST, etc.

(There is a small caveat to an interface which is it must work very
well... my experience with linuxconf (not necessarily printtool)
is that it mucks things up occasionally and I prefer the certainty
of manually editting a significant range of configuration files.)

But the larger issue which I think we all see is that there is
truly too much uncertainty (and chance for human error) without
any vanilla layer.

Ship-em-a-blank-computer-and-make-em-write-all-the-software Regards,
Scott