[LON-CAPA-dev] sysadm goals

Felicia Berryman lon-capa-dev@mail.lon-capa.org
Tue, 26 Feb 2002 17:02:31 -0500

Hi Scott,

> In a positive sense, I like "HANDHOLDing".. that's why
> my research cluster runs redhat as opposed to slackware.
> (Of course, I was using the term in a humorful sense...but
> yes it is a silly choice.)

I'm not arguing your idea.  I like it very much.  I just find the term
"handhold" offensive.  It makes me think that I need the "special"
interface instead of the "safe" interface.  (Think of "special" in the
politically correct "special" needs population sense).

Most users that install CAPA have added many users to their systems, but
have never edited the passwd file directly because they are used to GUI
tools.  I think your idea makes perfect sense.  Many administrators are
going to be coming from a windows background instead of a Linux
background and are going to expect to see administration tools that you
suggested.

Felicia
--
Felicia Berryman