[LON-CAPA-dev] Future Directions Ideas: gnuplot

Phil Fazio lon-capa-dev@mail.lon-capa.org
Wed, 21 Mar 2007 21:43:02 -0400

------=_Part_206157_21722540.1174527782631

Hello all, and I apologize for the late posting to the group, but I haven't
had much time to spare to put this together.

When looking at future directions, there are a couple of starter projects
that I would like to put some time into, and the one which interests me the
most is improving and updating the LON-CAPA implementation of gnuplot, both
adding features and possibly reorganizing the XML schema used to generate
plots.

Currently, the LON-CAPA implementation can handle 2-dimensional function and
data graphs well, but as more pure mathematics, statistics, and new science
applications (in addition to possible use in other topics) come on board,
these graphing capabilities become weaker.  For example, 3-dimensional plots
are not currently possible, nor is the ability to have truly customizable
labels (size, location, symbols, etc.). In newer versions of gnuplot, types
of plots such as histograms are possible as well, and vector fields. This is
but a short list of gnuplot-capable functions that would be well implemented
in LON-CAPA.  Being new to Perl, I think this would be a nice starter
project for me to start work on.  Off the top of my head, I would like to
implement some of the following functions into LON-CAPA:

* upgrade gnuplot to version 4.2 (currently using 4.0)
* 3 dimensional graphing, both in wire grid and surface form
* arrows and vector fields given data
* RGB and hex color options for individual portions of graphs (bug 874)
* new features of gnuplot that solve existing LON-CAPA bugs
     *  symbols and sub/superscript in graph labels (bugs 2135 and 3994)
     *  implement line thickness (bug 4794)
     *  implement new graph tic options (bug 2201)
* multiple plots on a single graph
* support polar and cylindrical graphing
* parametric functions
* fitting curves to data

In order to add a good chunk of this without overbloating the current XML
structure used by authors to create plots, I am working on a more detailed
document detailing a proposed new XML schema to incorporate these new
features in a coherant manner for both XML authors and colorful-editor
users.

While I can make no guarantees about how much work I can get done on this
right now, I was wondering what authors and/or developers might find most
useful of these items, any directions I should go in, or, for that matter,
any suggestions at all. Thanks for any feedback, I'm excited to maybe be
working on this little project.

Phil

P.S. Link for gnuplot, both general info and demos:
http://gnuplot.sourceforge.net/

------=_Part_206157_21722540.1174527782631

Hello all, and I apologize for the late posting to the group, but I haven&#39;t had much time to spare to put this together.<br><br>When looking at future directions, there are a couple of starter projects that I would like to put some time into, and the one which interests me the most is improving and updating the LON-CAPA implementation of gnuplot, both adding features and possibly reorganizing the XML schema used to generate plots.

------=_Part_206157_21722540.1174527782631--