[LON-CAPA-dev] Future Directions Ideas: gnuplot

Guy Albertelli II lon-capa-dev@mail.lon-capa.org
Fri, 30 Mar 2007 15:59:28 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Phil,

> * upgrade gnuplot to version 4.2 (currently using 4.0)
> * 3 dimensional graphing, both in wire grid and surface form
> * arrows and vector fields given data
> * RGB and hex color options for individual portions of graphs (bug 874)
> * new features of gnuplot that solve existing LON-CAPA bugs
>      *  symbols and sub/superscript in graph labels (bugs 2135 and 3994)
>      *  implement line thickness (bug 4794)
>      *  implement new graph tic options (bug 2201)
> * multiple plots on a single graph

Hmm, though that this works aready. At least I can add multiple curves
to 1 gnuplot object...

> * support polar and cylindrical graphing

Isn't Polar is fully supported?

> * parametric functions
> * fitting curves to data
>
> In order to add a good chunk of this without overbloating the current XML
> structure used by authors to create plots, I am working on a more detailed
> document detailing a proposed new XML schema to incorporate these new
> features in a coherant manner for both XML authors and colorful-editor
> users.

Well I generally argue in favor of evolution rather than revolution.

This it might be better to try to add in some of the features rather
than trying to design a complete revamp?

And as for direction I guess I'd start with trying to satisfy the
filed bugs first. And see how that goes.

--
guy@albertelli.com   0-7-0-9-27,137