[LON-CAPA-admin] Can't access user status pages

Stuart Raeburn raeburn at msu.edu
Wed Feb 24 11:53:27 EST 2016

Bob,

> there isn't a 'en-US' in one of the fields.  How does that get filled in?

Prior to LON-CAPA 2.4 (June 2007) domain defaults such as default
authentication mechanism and parameter, and also default language
(e.g., en-US) were extracted from domain.tab, and the entry would have
been filled in on the command line using a text editor (e.g., vim).

Starting with 2.4, a configuration.db GDBM file was added on a
domain's primary library server as the place to store domain defaults
(and other configuration information) for all of a domain's servers. A
web interface was also implemented to allow a domain coordinator to
set these domain defaults (and other settings) without the need for
command line access.

The binghamton domain joined the LON-CAPA network after June 2007, so
the web interface used for domain configuration has always been
available to you, via Main Menu > Set domain configuration, and,
specifically, the "Default
authentication/language/timezone/portal/types" item to choose a
default language from those available.

Accordingly, it is not a problem to omit en-US from the
/home/httpd/lonTabs/domain.tab files on your servers/VMs, so the entry
will simply be:

binghamton:Binghamton University:::::::binghamtonl1

(The line I included in my previous post was copied from the entry I
have for the binghamton domain in the "authoritative" dns_domain.tab
file available from the LON-CAPA "DNS" servers at MSU, Illinois, and
Simon Fraser (via /adm/dns/domain ).

Stuart Raeburn
LON-CAPA Academic Consortium

Quoting Bob Gonzales <rgonzal at binghamton.edu>:

> Stuart,
>
> There was a typo in /home/httpd/lonTabs/domain.tab that I missed.  Things
> look proper again, and I can access the user status pages.
>
> One other note, all of my /home/httpd/lonTabs look like this:
>
> # domain:Domain Name:auth mechanism:auth
> parameters:Language:City:Geo1:Geo2:main library
> binghamton:Binghamton University:::::::binghamtonl1
>
> there isn't a 'en-US' in one of the fields.  How does that get filled in?
>
> Once again, thank you for the help.
>
> Bob
>
> On Mon, Feb 22, 2016 at 2:09 PM, Stuart Raeburn <raeburn at msu.edu> wrote:
>
>> Bob,
>>

>>> I still get cannot access the user status pages on
>>> loncapa6.chem.binghamton.edu while I can access all of the others.
>>>

>> Comparing http://loncapa6.chem.binghamton.edu/adm/login with
>> http://loncapa5.chem.binghamton.edu/adm/login it is evident that loncapa6
>> is unable to retrieve domain configuration information from the binghamton
>> domain's primary library server.
>>
>> You'll see that loncapa6 has no custom logo at bottom right of the log-in
>> page, but does include a link to "Course/Community Catalog" as the fourth
>> item below the Log in button (it is not shown on the log-in pages for your
>> other servers).
>>
>> Can you check if there is a typo in: /home/httpd/lonTabs/domain.tab on
>> loncapa6.
>> That file should contain:
>>
>> binghamton:Binghamton University:::en-US::::binghamtonl1
>>
>> (The last item, after the eighth colon, is the lonHostID of the primary
>> library server).
>>
>> You might also look in /home/httpd/perl/logs/lonnet.log on loncapa6 for
>>

>> Stuart Raeburn
>> LON-CAPA Academic Consortium
>>

>> Quoting Bob Gonzales <rgonzal at binghamton.edu>:
>>
>> Stuart,
>>>
>>> I still get cannot access the user status pages on
>>> loncapa6.chem.binghamton.edu while I can access all of the others.
>>>
>>> I dumped memcache and compared the following entries to those on another
>>> server and they look the same.
>>>
>>> dns%3a%2fadm%2fdns%2fdomain
>>> dns%3a%2fadm%2fdns%2fhosts