[LON-CAPA-admin] Students not seeing homework on access servers

Stuart Raeburn raeburn at msu.edu
Sun Sep 20 18:41:47 EDT 2015

Richard,

> Apache2::RequestIO::print: (103) Software caused connection abort at....
>
> And then there are different files they are getting that at
>
> at /home/httpd/lib/perl//Apache/lonerrorhandler.pm line 53
> at /home/httpd/lib/perl//Apache/lonnavmaps.pm line 1831
> at /home/httpd/lib/perl//Apache/lonnavmaps.pm line 1864
> at /home/httpd/lib/perl//Apache/lonnavdisplay.pm line 118
> at /home/httpd/lib/perl//Apache/lonhomework.pm line 1108
> and others.

This usually means a student got tired of waiting for the page to
load, and clicked away.  As a result the server's response could be
longer be returned to the client, so the message "Software caused
connection abort" is logged and Apache/mod_perl aborts at the current
$r->print() line, which is what you'll find at those lines in each of
the reported perl modules.

The first of these -- the one involving lonerrorhandler.pm is
potentially the most interesting, as it suggests an internal server
error occurred first, so you might look in the Apache error_log to
find out what the error was.

Of course, students clicking away, is a symptom.  The larger question
is why are pages loading slowly on your access servers.  The first
thing I would check is that the memcached daemon is running:

ps -ef |grep memcached |grep -v grep

(The output should be something like:

and is caching; see my post to the admin list from earlier this year
for a script you can use to dump the contents of memcached:

http://mail.lon-capa.org/pipermail/lon-capa-admin/2015-February/003005.html

Also see:
http://mail.lon-capa.org/pipermail/lon-capa-admin/2015-February/003013.html

Stuart Raeburn