[LON-CAPA-admin] Slowness in LonCapa

Stuart Raeburn raeburn at msu.edu
Mon Jun 22 23:28:38 EDT 2015

Hi Lee,

> (Missing operator before E_TRIE_MAXBUF?)
> Bareword found where operator expected at (eval 1863) line 1, near
> "%E_TRIE_MAXBUF"

Thanks for reporting this message from the Apache error log, which is
seen when LON-CAPA is installed on a Linux distro running perl 5.10 or
newer (i.e., CentOS/Red Hat/Scientific Linux 6 and newer, and Ubuntu
10 LTS and newer).

This message originates from run::dump(), called when a perl script
block is rendered for display of the answer (to create the ScriptVars
HTML).

Anyway, run.pm rev. 1.64 eliminates it, and you can patch LON-CAPA
2.11 with rev 1.64 as follows:

wget -O /home/httpd/lib/perl/Apache/run.pm
'http://source.loncapa.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/loncom/xml/run.pm?rev=1.64;content-type=text/plain'

service httpd reload     (CentOS/Red Hat/Scientific Linux)
service apache2 reload   (Ubuntu)

Notes:

1. If you choose to make this change, the checkforupdates.pl script
will detect  a version change in run.pm (as compared with the version
included
in 2.11.0 or 2.11.1), and send a daily e-mail because of that discrepancy.

2. The logged message is not indicative of a bad regular expression in
the code, or in someone's LON-CAPA problem.

Stuart Raeburn
LON-CAPA Academic Consortium