[LON-CAPA-admin] Auto update of student/employee ID

Stuart Raeburn raeburn at msu.edu
Tue Feb 17 13:41:17 EST 2015

Hi Hon-Kie,

> The bottom line is how do I get the student/employee ID to be update
> nightly via the cron jobs?

Has Autoupdate.pl successfully updated IDs for users in the fsu domain
in the past, or is this a new procedure for your domain?

Autoupdate.pl is successfully updating student/employee IDs in the msu domain.

> Auto-update active? set to yes
> Update information in classlist? set to yes
> User preference to lock name - not check
> Under User population
>   All users on the student/employee ID is checked.

Those look good, although see the caveat below regarding user
population (i.e., "All users").

If you are not seeing updates to IDs in the fsu domain, then there may
be a problem retrieving user information using the allusers_info()
routine in your customized /home/httpd/lib/perl/localenroll.pm

Alternatively, it may be that the institutional affiliation of the
users retrieved in allusers_info() is not blank (e.g., it might be
student), whereas your domain configuration is set to update "All
users" (i.e., there are no specific institutional types set for the
domain, in which case only users without an affiliation will be
updated).

Are there changes logged in /home/httpd/perl/logs/autoupdate.log?
How about in /home/http/perl/logs/lonnet.log?

I would expect an entry of the following type in autoupdate.log:

User change: <username>:fsu; New values: 1.Name: <fullname>; 2. StuID:
<id>; 3. Email: <e-mail address>.

and an entry of the following type in lonnet.log

, <lastname>, (forceid: 1; candelete: id) desiredhome = <home> by  at
in domain

When you log-in to the web GUI, select your domain coordinator role in
the fsu domain and display:
https://loncapa10.fsu.edu/cgi-bin/listdomconfig.pl

What do you see in the autoupdate and inststatus entries for the fsu domain?

> In addition to the Auto-update settings, there is the User modification. In
> what context is the User modification updateable? Since in my case the
> update is done by the cron jobs, Autoaupdate.pl and Antoenroll.pl, it is
> not clear how User modification is used. (Seems to be settings for users to
> allow them to update themselves??)

User modification applies when a Course Coordinator or Author uses
"Add/Modify a Course User" or "Add/Modify a Student" to change user
information.

The domain configuration settings determine which fields may be
changed, depending on context (author or course), and role of the user
  for whom ichanges are being made. Non-privileged users may not
change their own user information settings (except, optionally, at
account creation).

In addition, Autoenroll.pl will not change user information (name, id,
e-mail address) for a user already enrolled in a course (it just
manages enrollment in courses).

Instead, Autoupdate.pl is intended to support synchronization of user
information (regardless of course enrollment, potentially between all
LON-CAPA users in a domain and the corresponding institutional data.

If you use Autoupdate.pl (and it is working), then the "User
modification" settings for changes via the web GUI by authors and CCs
are not useful, because any changes made there, will be overwritten by
the next run of Autoupdate.pl.

See:
https://loncapa10.fsu.edu/adm/help/Domain_Configuration_User_Modification.hlp
https://loncapa10.fsu.edu/adm/help/Domain_Configuration_Auto_Updates.hlp

If the problem is with customizations to localenroll.pm, then you'll
like need to do some debugging.  It is fairly straightforward to
temporarily modify Autoupdate.pl so it just updates a single user.
When running Autopupdate.pl from the command line, be sure to run it
as user www.

Stuart Raeburn
LON-CAPA Academic Consortium