[LON-CAPA-admin] Placement Tests

Stuart Raeburn raeburn at msu.edu
Thu Feb 13 18:43:37 EST 2014

Mark,

Justin Gray in the Mathematics department at Simon Fraser University
has used LON-CAPA for Math Placement tests for many years.

> I know that a single folder can be created from a pool,  but can a
> single folder be created gracefully
> from 4 separate pools or does this require 4 separate folders?

Currently, LON-CAPA would require 4 separate folders for this.
However, if the exam is run online, students will be unaware of the
boundaries between folders if they use LOn-CAPA's navigation arrows to
move from one problem to the next.

An alternative would be to use randompick in a single folder in which
the problems within the folder themselves contained multiple response
types enclosed within a randomlist tag.  This would mean each pool
would be converted to a single problem, which would not be especially
desirable from the perspective of flexibility of content reuse.

Note: the forthcoming LON-CAPA 2.11.0 release supports use of both
randompick and randomorder in bubblesheet exams.  In addition, there
is a countdown timer available automatically when the time interval
parameter is in use which is something that the LON-CAPA administrator
in the Mathematics at the University of Saskatchewan has asked about
in the past.

Stuart Raeburn
LON-CAPA Academic Consortium