[LON-CAPA-admin] subscription updates not happening

Stuart Raeburn raeburn at msu.edu
Mon Dec 8 16:02:02 EST 2014

Hi Bob,

> For capa1, casea1, and fhwfa1, a dump of iptables shows port 5663 open for
> capa1 and fhwfa1.

The issue is with inbound access to port 5663 on the remote LON-CAPA
servers, not with iptables rules for your own LON-CAPA library server
(which affect inbound requests to your server), or with firewall rules
for your own institution.

Anyway, I contacted the maintainer of fhwfa1, and the network staff
for that domain are being contacted to resolve that issue for fhwfa1.

As regards capa1 (uwsp), I had some e-mail correspondence with the
maintainer there some time ago, and I had reported that port 5663 was
blocked for inbound access to the uwsp library server.  I need to
revisit that, because it seems the issue was never resolved.

> ...  It also shows no entries for casea1 (cluster tables
> already updated?).

Yes, the authoritative cluster tables at MSU, UIUC and SFU were
updated Friday, 12/5 after I received a response to my e-mail to the
maintainer of the case domain; case is permanently offline, so the
entries for case have been commented out in the cluster tables.

In summary, this is something that the other institutions need to
resolve, and is most likely an issue with institutional firewall rules
at the respective campus borders.

What it means for you is that whenever you update resources in the
binghamton domain, for which these remote servers have subscriptions,
your LON-CAPA library server will attempt to connect to the remote
server's port 5663 to prompt it to request the updated copy of the
resource from your library server.  That will fail, and a record will
be written in /home/httpd/perl/logs/lonnet.perm.log  Thereafter the
nightly (5.10 local time) run of loncron on your library server will
attempt to complete the transaction to prompt the remote server to
retrieve the updated file.

Stuart Raeburn
LON-CAPA Academic Consortium