[LON-CAPA-admin] Help with a transition

Lucas, Mark lucasm at ohio.edu
Mon Aug 18 15:32:22 EDT 2014

I am upgrading my high school server from my old Dell Poweredge 2650 to my newer 2950 (the
old ohiou library - oucapa2).

I followed the directions online. The ‘new’ machine actually had the old installation on it. I overwrote
/home with the contents of the HS server (ohiouk12). I ran the db converter since this is a transition from
32 to 64 bit, and all went okay until I tried to bring up LC.

The web brings up the “LC is Temporarily Down” page with a list of the other servers available.
What is strange is that I could actually log in to the domains on that machine from a different machine,
so under the hood most things were working.

My problem is that I was having a hard time finding anything in the log files to hint at what happened.
After about 2 hours of poking around I bailed and brought my old machine back up.

I understand not doing a fresh install on the ‘new’ machine may be shooting myself in the foot (and I may
need to break down and do that), but does anyone have a suggestion as to what log files to check out
for hints as to what was broken with the httpd-LON-CAPA connection? Again, I check /var/www/httpd logs
and /home/httpd/perl/logs, but didn’t see much.

Thanks!
Mark

Mark Lucas 								email: lucasm at ohiou.edu
252D Clippinger Lab						phone: (740)597-2984
Department of Physics and Astronomy		fax: (740)593-0433
Ohio University
Athens, OH 45701