[LON-CAPA-admin] not a valid domain

Stuart Raeburn raeburn at msu.edu
Wed Aug 13 14:50:46 EDT 2014

Hi Hon-Kie,

While you are considering load balancer usage in the fsu domain, I
thought I would follow up on a post of yours from May 28th, as it was
to do with load balancer server management.

> I guess the Update Connections on loncapa10 does not do it for all the
> servers under fsu or fsuK12 domain.

Correct.

If you want to update connections on a particular server you need to use:
Main Menu -> Status of domain servers -> Update Connections and
Refresh Status Information on *that* server.

The URL is: <hostname>/cgi-bin/loncron.pl
where hostname is https://loncapa10.fsu.edu, https://loncapa.fsu.edu etc.

> ... loncapa.fsu.edu being a lonbalancer,
> does not host sessions, so I cannot update via the web.

You can update connections for a load balancer via the web if you have
configured access for a specific IP address for the "Generate Detailed
Report" option via:

Main Menu -> Set domain configuration -> Click "Display" button
("Access to server status pages" checked).

When you enter one (or more) IP addresses in the "Specific IPs"
column, then access to the corresponding URL is available from a web
browser running on the machine with that IP address, without the need
for log-in etc.  The request will also evade offloading, which in the
case of a load balancer, means this is a way to get web-based access
to server utilities for the load balancer server.

> .., Is
> /home/httpd/perl/loncron the equivalent command?

Almost. Calling /cgi-bin/loncron.pl via the web causes the command:

/home/httpd/perl/loncron --noemail

to be executed (as user www) on the server.

If you use a shell session on the server to run
/home/httpd/perl/loncron, be sure to su www , before running the
command.  As seen in a recent thread on this mailing list, using root
to run commands listed in /etc/cron.d/loncapa (to be run as the www
user) can have unwanted side effects.

See: http://mail.lon-capa.org/pipermail/lon-capa-admin/2014-August/002881.html

Stuart Raeburn
LON-CAPA Academic Consortium