[LON-CAPA-admin] re-login page for fsuK12 domain users

Stuart Raeburn raeburn at msu.edu
Tue Aug 12 22:55:19 EDT 2014

Hon-Kie,

> Any way to change the re-login link for loncapa10
> only to loncapa10.fsu.edu?

For SSO users, the "Log-in" again link will point at the value you
have set for the perlvar: lonSSOReloginServer in one of the Apache
configuration files on your server.

For non-SSO users, and also for SSO users (if lonSSOReloginServer has
not been defined), the destination of "Log-in again" link on the
log-out page is determined in the order:

       (1) portal page for user's domain (if defined).
       (2) the domain's portal server, if log-in pages for user's domain's
           servers are set to redirect (e.g., to a lonBalancer server).
       (3) least busy server in user's domain.

(From the release notes for 2.10.1
  http://mail.lon-capa.org/pipermail/lon-capa-announce/2011/000077.html )

My guess is that you have set lonSSOReloginServer to
https://loncapa.fsu.edu/ in an Apache config file somewhere.

However, I see no problem in the log-in again link pointing at your
load balancer server (loncapa.fsu.edu), given the new functionality
added in 2.11.0 which is used to determine which server(s) in your
domain (fsu) will host which types of user who log-in via a load
balancer server.

Log-in to LON-CAPA and select the Domain Coordinator role in the fsu domain

Use:
Main Menu -> Set domain configuration -> Dedicated Load Balancer(s)

and set appropriate destinations in the "Overrides" column for each of
the possible "User affiliations".  For each you will choose one of:

Offloads to default destinations
Offloads to user's home server
Offloads to specific server:
No offload

The possible "user affiliations" include:
"Advanced" users from fsu
Users from fsu with author role

and also any institutional affiliations defined in the "Institutional
user types" section of the configuration menu accessed via:

Main Menu -> Set domain configuration -> Click "Display button
("Default authentication/language/timezone/portal/types" checked).

My assumption is that you would like specific users to have sessions
hosted on loncapa10.fsu.edu (e.g., faculty), whereas the majority of
users (i.e., students) will have sessions load balanced across your
access servers.

The "Dedicated Load Balancer(s)" domain configuration for the fsu
domain will  allow you to configure that.  If you have a domain with a
dedicated load balancer server, then arguably there is no need to
allow log-in to any of the servers apart from the load balancer (which
can then distribute users to other servers according to the rules you
have established).

Stuart Raeburn
LON-CAPA Academic Consortium