[LON-CAPA-admin] PCI Compliance

Stuart Raeburn raeburn at msu.edu
Fri Jan 4 15:35:48 EST 2013

Hi,

> Any help about fixing these or advice would be greatly appreciated.

> web program allows cross-site scripting in query string (/adm/helpdesk)
>
> cross-site scripting vulnerability in orgurl parameter to /adm/helpdesk

An updated version of lonsupportreq.pm -- the module which handles
requests for /adm/helpdesk -- will be included in LON-CAPA 2.11. The
new version supports (optional) use of CAPTCHA, to verify a human
completed the web form, and includes changes to prevent cross-site
scripting (XSS).

For now I have back-ported the changes which prevent XSS to the 2.10
branch. This version of /adm/helpdesk passes all tests available with
the XSS Me 0.4.2 plug-in for Firefox.

System administrators for servers running LON-CAPA 2.10 can replace
the shipped lonsupportreq.pm (rev 1.66) with this patched version (rev
1.67.2.1) as follows (all on one line).

wget -O /home/httpd/lib/perl/Apache/lonsupportreq.pm
'http://source.loncapa.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/loncom/interface/lonsupportreq.pm?rev=1.67.2.1;content-type=text/plain'

/etc/init.d/httpd reload
(CentOS, Scientific Linux, Red Hat, Fedora)

or

/etc/init.d/apache2 reload
(SuSE, Ubuntu, SLES)

Stuart Raeburn